Wednesday, September 9, 2009

H1N1 Decisions

H1N1
I am at a loss as to how to combat this H1N1 Flu virus that is going around. I heard on the news last week that here in Georgia we have the highest number of reported cases right now. That terrifies me. What is worse is that school has barely been in a month and we already have a lot of schools with large numbers of confirmed cases of H1N1. Now, the schools and the school system are not even telling us anymore when there are new cases so now we are being kept in the dark. So how do you keep your child safe from the H1N1 ? All of the reports and news stories say that you need to have your children and yourself given the flu shot as soon as it is available, which is now. Additionally, you will need to have your children and yourself given the H1N1 flu shot as soon as it becomes available which looks to be mid October. For those of us who have never had a flu shot, that will mean two shots for the regular flu shot and two more shots for the H1N1. If you are counting along with me, that is four shots per person. It takes four nurses to hold my eight year old down to give her a shot so I am not looking forward to this. But my question is, do we know for sure that this will work? If we only received the regular flu shot and not the H1N1, will we be okay through this flu season?

The H1N1 flu vaccine is still being tested, so once it becomes available how do we know if it is truly work and if it will truly keep you from catching the flu. I am a good parent but do not want to subject my children to four sets of shots unnecessarily. I really wish a doctor, a pediatrician would stand up and give the pros and cons on both sides of the fence. I want to do what is best for my kids, but do not want to subject them to anything that is unnecessary. So for now we are washing and washing and washing our hands and carrying around antibacterial handwash with us but I fear that may not be enough. I would like to know what you guys think. Are you having your kids inoculated against the both the regular and the H1N1 flu or neither. Let me know your thoughts.

1 comment:

sterling river said...

Dr. Mercola gives some insight into this dilemma - mercola.com

Adsense Search

Custom Search