Friday, May 18, 2007

Girl Scout Camping Trip versus Ballet Recital

There is a big controversy going on in my home. Tomorrow is my eight year old's camping trip with her Girl Scout troop. Unfortunately it is also her mandatory dress rehearsal for her dance recital. Did I say, Mandatory!! Needless to say, even after months of practice and hard work, Taylie wants to go on the camping trip. I've explained the importance of not letting people down who depend on you, responsibility, etc. etc. etc...she is not budging. She wants to ditch the dance recital and go on the trip.

My husband and I both hate to burst her bubble. She is an honor student, all E's...a great kid and a very good dancer. But...as parents, we have to make the right decision for her as it seems that she just is not old enough to decide at this point which decision is best for her. I explain to her that we can take her to the Great Wolf Lodge next month as a family, but that there will only be one dance recital for her as a Ballet I performer. She sheds her tears, pouts, and complains. But in the end, I think she understands. She is getting an early lesson on life, its disappointments, its challenges, and some of the hard decisions that we sometimes have to make.

No comments:

Adsense Search

Custom Search