Tuesday, May 22, 2007

When People Just Pop Over

I love to have company. I don't have many friends as we relocated here from Atlanta a few years ago, but I do desire to have lots of friends. Growing up as a child, my family moved around a lot because my father was pursuiing an acting career. Because of that, I was always the new kid in class and so never really learned how to make and keep friends. It's not that I didn't want any friends, but I just got to the point where it broke my heart to make a new best friend and then have to leave them a year or so later that I just gave up trying. The smart girl and new girl is usually not the most popular girl. I also had (and still have) large eyes so the kids always teased me about my eyes. I say that to say, now I truly do appreciate friendships and enjoy meeting people. What throws me off is when people just pop over out of the blue.

It really wouldn't matter to me except that for some reason, my house is ALWAYS a total disaster area when people just pop over. I spend the entire 15 or 20 minutes they are there apologizing for the mess. Then I stay up half the night worrying over whether or not they will consider me a slob or dirt bag for having such a dirty house. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look like a pig stye, and my home is usually clean, but I do have three small children....well, four if you count my husband. I get absolutely NO help with the housework and juggle a full time career (even though it is work from home) with running a V.A business (which is sort of on hold right now), with all of the cooking, cleaning, kids extracurricular activities, etc. There just is not enough hours in the day to do it all, so unfortunately something each day must get pushed to the back.

Yes, I plan on hiring a housekeeper to help out at least twice a month, but they are so darn expensive! I am a penny pincher so everytime I think about the hundred plus dollars I would have to pay them twice a month or so makes me gag. Of course, the alternative is to continue to dig myself into a grave by trying to continue doing it all. NOT ! In a perfect world, I see myself not cringing everytime the doorbell rings and glancing around to see what I can through out of sight. In a perfect world my house would smell like Pine Sol and fresh flowers every single day. In a perfect world my kids would pick up after themselves and not throw their book bags and shoes and sweaters/jackets wherever they take them off at. Yes, I have taught them better but it is a never ending battle. I fuss and complain but to no avail. Calgon take me awayyyyy!!!

No comments:

Adsense Search

Custom Search