Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Kids Bring Me Joy

There are quite a few things that bring me joy. The sound of birds chirping, soft music, a good meal, a soft kiss on the cheek—these are just some of the things that bring a smile to my face, but the number one thing that makes me happy is watching my children play together peacefully in harmony. As all kids, they fuss and fight and have their disagreements and that simply irritates me, but I know that it is common. Watching them play together with smiles on their faces and enjoying each other’s company elates me to a degree in which I cannot describe. It is beyond comprehension to me how such lovely and peaceful children who thoroughly enjoy each other’s company one minute can appear to hate each other’s guts the next minute.

Growing up, I was the oldest of five and thus was always at odds with at least one or two of my siblings. My two sisters were close, my two brothers were close, but no one ever wanted to play with me. I don’t want to sound like a whiner, but that actually bothered me over the years. I eventually accepted it as something I had no control over and spent a lot of my time writing poetry, reading, and listening to the radio. There were numerous times I wished I had a twin brother or sister to share thoughts and feelings with but by the age of ten I realized that I needed to accept things as they were and be happy about it because there was nothing I could do about it.

As an adult I often reflect on the loneliness I felt growing up and vowed that I would do everything in my power to ensure all of my children always felt like they could talk or lean on anyone in the family…even me. I guess that is why it brings me so much joy to hear them playing and laughing together. Although they are five, nine, and eleven, they have a very good sibling relationship and truly enjoy each other’s company (most of the time). I watch them and rejoice as I know that all households and/or siblings do not have such a healthy and joyous relationship.

No comments:

Adsense Search

Custom Search